Scientific Director - Laboratory Sciences
Charles River Laboratories International Inc (CRL)
Reno, NV, US, 89511
Scientific Director - Laboratory Sciences Req ID #: 206591 Location:
Reno, NV, US, 89511 For 75 years, Charles River employees have worked together to assist in the discovery, development and safe manufacture of new drug therapies. When you join our family, you will have a significant impact on the health and well-being of people across the globe. Whether your background is in life sciences, finance, IT, sales or another area, your skills will play an important role in the work we perform. In return, we’ll help you build a career that you can feel passionate about. Job Summary
Act as primary contact for the department with respect to new contracts, providing project outlines and pricing, in collaboration with Client Services/Account Management. Responsible for coordinating the feasibility and pricing of applying a wide variety of scientific principles and concepts to client projects. Supervise scientific staff in the department and provide guidance with the planning and execution of scientific research and/or critical development strategies. Assign work to scientific staff and oversee the work flow within the department. Plan and execute laboratory research. Provide scientific and innovative thinking with advanced level of technical skill and insight. Keep abreast and maintain a broad knowledge of state-of-the art principles and theories.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Act as primary contact for new contracts, providing project outlines and pricing, in collaboration with Client Services/Account Management. Develop and maintain client/sponsor relationships.
• Provide scientific and innovative thinking with advanced level of technical skill and insight.
• Develop strong relationships with key accounts and represent Charles River to the customer.
• Evaluate study requirements, timelines and prices with Sponsors and other Charles River Laboratories sites.
• Produce a high-quality work product acceptable to project management, on time and within budget.
• Participate in business development opportunities; work toward expanding existing business and developing new business opportunities.
• Coordinate with Client Services/Account Management, Field Sales Representatives and Charles River Management with respect to client/Sponsor negotiations.
• Responsible for coordinating the feasibility and pricing of applying a wide variety of scientific principles and concepts to client projects.
• Provide guidance with the planning and execution of scientific research and/or critical development strategies.
• Act independently as a project manager and Study Director – develop, design, validate, interpret, prepare GLP compliant reports (as appropriate) and conduct assays and studies as assigned.
• Develop and maintain tracking system of study assignments and progress.
• Maintain a broad knowledge of state-of-the art principles and theories.
• Develop business leads to ensure the company’s financial success.
• Direct activities of assigned group(s) to ensure optimum performance of the group/function.
• Responsible for personnel management activities such as: scheduling, personnel actions (hiring, promotions, transfers, etc.), training and development, providing regular direction and feedback on performance, disciplinary actions and preparing and delivering annual performance and salary reviews.
• Develop short- and long-range operating objectives, organizational structure, staffing requirements and succession plans.
• Education: PhD or international equivalent in a science related field required.
• Experience: 10 or more years’ experience in the contract research or pharmaceutical industry conducting scientific research. Experience in a non-GLP (discovery) environment required. Management experience required. Experience with financial business planning and project management experience preferred.
• Certification/Licensure: None.
• Other: Excellent verbal and written communication, and organizational skills. Demonstrated independent analytical and problem-solving abilities. Demonstrated proficiency in managing a laboratory area. Demonstrated knowledge and full understanding of GLP regulatory requirements and industry standards. Ability to develop and maintain client/sponsor relationships and direct client/Sponsor programs. Ability to interact appropriately with all levels of employees. Ability to work effectively as a member of a team. Ability to work in a dynamic, detailed driven environment. Ability to apply leadership, negotiation, interpersonal, and managerial skills. Ability to handle multiple projects, prioritize work and meet deadlines. Computer proficiency in MS Word, Excel, Outlook, instrumentation and analysis software.
About Safety Assessment
Charles River is committed to helping our partners expedite their preclinical drug development with exceptional safety assessment services, state-of-the-art facilities and expert regulatory guidance. From individual specialty toxicology and IND enabling studies to tailored packages and total laboratory support, our deeply experienced team can design and execute programs that anticipate challenges and avoid roadblocks for a smooth, efficient journey to market. Each year approximately 120 investigational new drug (IND) programs are conducted in our Safety Assessment facilities.
About Charles River
Charles River is an early-stage contract research organization (CRO). We have built upon our foundation of laboratory animal medicine and science to develop a diverse portfolio of discovery and safety assessment services, both Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) and non-GLP, to support clients from target identification through preclinical development. Charles River also provides a suite of products and services to support our clients’ clinical laboratory testing needs and manufacturing activities. Utilizing this broad portfolio of products and services enables our clients to create a more flexible drug development model, which reduces their costs, enhances their productivity and effectiveness to increase speed to market.
With over 20,000 employees within 110 facilities in over 20 countries around the globe, we are strategically positioned to coordinate worldwide resources and apply multidisciplinary perspectives in resolving our client’s unique challenges. Our client base includes global pharmaceutical companies, biotechnology companies, government agencies and hospitals and academic institutions around the world.
At Charles River, we are passionate about our role in improving the quality of people’s lives. Our mission, our excellent science and our strong sense of purpose guide us in all that we do, and we approach each day with the knowledge that our work helps to improve the health and well-being of many across the globe. We have proudly supported the development of 86% of the drugs approved by the FDA in 2021.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Charles River Laboratories is an Equal Opportunity Employer - all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
If you are interested in applying to Charles River Laboratories and need special assistance or an accommodation due to a disability to complete any forms or to otherwise participate in the resume submission process, please contact a member of our Human Resources team by sending an e-mail message to [email protected] This contact is for accommodation requests for individuals with disabilities only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.
For more information, please visit www.criver.com.
Nearest Major Market: Reno
Nearest Secondary Market: Tahoe
Job Segment: Research Scientist, Pharmaceutical, Project Manager, Laboratory, Testing, Science, Technology
Similar CRA jobs
Associate Director Microbiology
Associate Director/Director, Corp Strategy & Development - Home or office based
Laboratory Animal Technician (50) $1,500 Sign on Bonus
CMA Account Director (Remote USA)
Senior Clinical Project Management Director, IM- Infectious Diseases specific
Senior Scientific Associate 1
Chromatography Sciences Graduate Intern - Bioanalytical Laboratory
Medical Laboratory Technician - Within Auto or Special Chemistry
Senior Director, Advanced Analytics
Medical Director - Pulmonary / Internal Medicine with Pulmonary focus
Sr./Medical Director, Oncology or Hematology (Home-Based) - IQVIA Biotech (Open)
Associate Director, Key Account Management (m/w/d) Life Sciences & Healthcare
Senior Director, Project Management
Director, Solutions Architect
Sr. Director Global NHP Distribution
Associate Director, Business Optimization
Laboratory Animal Technician 1 (RML) $$Sign on Bonus $1,500
Research Technician - Neurobehavioral Sciences *$1,000 sign-on bonus 1
Director, Project Management